Guidelines for the Use of Soil Amendments, Organic Manure and Chemical Fertilizers
- Lime application (1-2 t/ha) should be done two weeks before planting and incorporated well in to soil.
- Lime and chemical fertilizers should not be applied together.
- Application of any organic manures at the rate of 10t/ha is beneficial.
- Integrated use of organic manure and chemical fertilizer is more beneficial than using either type in isolation.
- Basal fertilizer should be applied and incorporated into the soil at least 1 – 2 days before planting.
- Subsequent fertilizer applications should be done in a circle around the plant and incorporated into soil.
- Always ensure soil is sufficiently moist after fertilizer application.